September 26, 2009

Woodbine Willie Project: The FMTana-“His Mate”

This might be my last one of these for a while. While it's a good exercise, it's ultimately just an exercise.

(Although I'm learning that exercising is necessary at my age. Even though it's usually boring as shit.)

This song is one of
the longer G.A. Studdert Kennedy poems I've taken on. It has more of a narrative than most of the other poems, which seem mostly to capture a snapshot of wartime in the trenches. And it's got some piano. And the baritone pipes are in full effect.

(Subsequently, the baritone pipes brought to mind one of the better rock and/or roll bands of the past 5 years: The National. Click the pic "Up and to the Right," and there's some National tracks awaiting. Including an amazing drunken acoustic version of "Start a War" from La Blogotheque, which, if you've never perused, is a fantastic site featuring live performances
from a ton of great bands, placed in natural settings where the found sounds of the environment almost become another instrument. My friend Rob played me The National outing for Blogotheque. Just a great performance.)

But like I said, this is probably the last one of these for a while. I need to do something beyond exercise. So I might start posting some original stuff here soon. In the meantime, let me know what you think.



Download file here:

The FMTana-"His Mate"

No comments: