June 17, 2009

Covers Project: The FMTana-"Waiting Room"


Slacking. Even with nothing to do. I'm not going to compose a big post on what this particular artist (Fugazi) meant to/means to me. Because it's basically one big idea that overshadows every other big idea: DIY.*

*this, despite the fact that i do have some very nice fugazi-related memories
: like a large contingent of interested participants piling into my minivan and driving from syracuse to rochester to see fugazi play for $5 (natch), which was the first time i met one of my best friends from college and future roomie, paige.

Never has the concept of DIY been so effective and easily done than in the age we're living. I can record a song in my house with my computer and crappy guitars and put it on this blog and a kid from Utica, NY can download it on his computer. I have the means of production and the means of distribution. Not only am I a one man band. I am a one man recording studio and record label. Just like that.

15-20 years ago as an un-radio friendly hardcore band, it was a little tougher. There weren't mp3s or iTunes. There were 1000 7"s to be stuffed into 1000 hand-pressed sleeves. And mail. And word of mouth. And snow up to your teeth. Both ways. Uphill.

Still, no one streamlined the DIY ethos as effectively as Dischord Records. And because of them and Mr. Ian McKaye, we got a lot of great bands and a lot of inspired and inspiring record labels (Simple Machines, Merge, Teenbeat, etc.) Thanks up and to the right.

On to the tune...

I've been picking this one out on the Beast for quite a while now. I didn't stay true to the original bassline at all, which is the song's calling card. But my intent was that this version wouldn't lack the intensity of the original, even though it won't get 5,000 kids jumping up and down, pumping their fists. I think I like it. As always, let me know what you think.



Download file here:

The FMTana-"Waiting Room"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awesome! I want more FMTana!